Online Funeral Programs and Memorials
When someone close to you dies, one of the most difficult tasks you will face is creating a funeral or obituary program. This document will serve as a lasting memory of your loved one and can be a source of comfort for friends and family members in the days and weeks following the funeral. If you're struggling to create a funeral program on your own, don't worry there are a wide variety of online funeral program options. Whether it's using a graphical editor or downloading a template, there are a wide variety of resources that will help you quickly accomplish your funeral booklet goals.
Online Funeral Program Options
Download a funeral program template from the internet
The internet has a wide variety of funeral and obituary templates available. Templates are convenient because they are always available. Simply select the template that you want to use and "download" or copy it to your computer. Once the template is on your computer, you can beging editing and creating your personal memento. When selecting a template, there are many options to consider. Here are a few:
- Decide what information you would like to include in your funeral program. This will help you understand what template you may want to select. The amount of information you want to include will help you decide paper size and layout. Different kinds of information you can include in your memorial program are photos, poems, scriptures, quotes, sayings, funeral order of service, acknowledgements,
- Decide what size paper you want to use. You can select from a standard single sheet, larger paper, or even cardstock. Paper size is usually decided based on how much information you plan to include in your program. If you are under a time constraint, "less is more".
- Decide what layout you would like. There are many different layout styles, including single fold or bifold, trifold, graduated (step fold), Z fold, Gatefold and manhy others. If time is an issue, select a simple layout such as a single fold aor maybe a trifold. If you are computer savy, you may consider a more difficult layout. If you select a complicated layout, pleae ensure that you have plenty of time for folding, since the more difficult folds can't be done with a paper folder.
Select the template in the appropriate software application. When selecting a template, make sure you understand which software program you will be using to edit your template. Since this will be a stressful time with time constraints, this is not the time to work in a software program that is difficult or one that you have to take time to learn. You can find funeral program templates in Microsoft Word or Publisher format, which is widely available. You can also get templates formated for Mac Computers such as Pages. There are more difficult templates created in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and other graphic programs, but these programs have a steep learning curve.
Use an online graphics editor to create your funeral program
You can also use an online graphics editor to create a funeral program. There are many online funeral program editors out there to choose from. Using an online graphics editor may have several pros and cons. Here are a few:
- You don't have to own and install an application on your computer. Since the software is on the internet, you don't have to spend time and money having the funeral program software installed on your computer. Simply browse to the site and begin creating your program.
- Get familiar with the functionality of the editor. Many editors have many different font styles, memorial clipart, funeral backgrounds and even allow you to upload images of your loved one. Even though these editors are very convenient, you often have very limited control over layout and paper size. You may not be able to create "fancier" programs such as step fold or gatefold. You may also be limited with fonts, clipart and background. Some platforms have preformatted templates Also, make sure that you can save your work for later.
- Start building your memorial program. This process if very similar to the above mentioned template download options. Gather all information that you want to include in your program, such as photos, memorial clipart, obituary, tributes, poems and other types of information, and start entering it into you online editory.
- Save your work and get it printed. Once you are happy with your memorial, you can usually download your finished memorial (usually for a cost). Generally, these finished programs are in PDF format. You simply download your finished template, and print it at home or at a print and copy shop. Make sure to allow time for folding. Some platforms may even allow you to keep your memorial online, to share with friends and family without having to print and send it out.
Create a memorial website
You can create a memorial website for you loved one. This is a more time-consuming process, but it is an ideal way to memorialize your loved one while providing access to the life accomplishments of your loved one for friends and family. With a memorial website, you don't have to worry about sending a hard copy to friends and family, they can simply log onto the internet, browse to the memorial website URL and begin reading. There are many different platforms and stragegies for completing a memorial website. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Decide on a website platform. This can be an overwhelming process, since there are so many different options for creating memorial websites.
- You can go to a major hosting platform, such as GoDaddy or BlueHost, secure a domain name and begin creating the website. These large platforms have very robust "Drag and Drop" editors and are fairly easy to learn and use. You will have to pay for montly hosting, and you will have to purchase a domain name.
- You can go go a memorial website hosting platform. There are many memorial website companies that will allow you to publish an online memorial for very minimal cost. You usually don't have to purchase a domain, you simply get one from the memorial platform provider. These platforms often have drag and drop editors that are easy to use, but may not be as robust as the major hosting platforms. These platforms also will allow friends and family members to submit comments.
- You can check with your funeral home and see if they will publish the obituary and other information on there website. This is now becoming a feature of many different funeral and memorial home providers. Sometimes they will even host an online memorial for free.
- Once you've decided on a platform, you can begin uploading the information that you want to include. Of course, this is the usually photos and family photos, tributes, poems,service information.
No matter how you choose to memorialize your loved one online, it's important to keep their memory alive by continuing to tell their story and share the impact that they had on your life. By creating an online memorial, you can help ensure that their legacy lives on for years to come.